September 18, 2011

The Green-Eyed Monster

This is sort of related to the post I did on the upcoming strike by public sector workers.

It involves that thing that has killed millions over the centuries. That thing that causes so much trouble between us. That thing that we can't live without. That thing that if we have too little of, or, paradoxically, too much of, has the power to make us miserable.

Money.

Regular readers of my bloglet will know that I have made and lost a million pounds. I have had a super-abundance of money, and I have been wretchedly poor. I don't recall being spectacularly miserable when I had no money, and when I had a lot of it, I just rolled with it. It is what it is. I was fairly philosophical about it. Ambivalent, even. I enjoyed the ride but when the crash happened, I took stock: I was still alive, my family were okay, I learnt the lessons and moved on. What else could I have done? Curl up in a ball and bawl? Nothing to be gained by that. I found something else to do. I found another way to defur the feline.

Nowadays I am a middle-income earner. Mr Average. Not poor, not rich. Happy enough that I have enough to pay my bills with a little left over each month. Not quite enough to save, and not quite enough to squander.

The point of this post is to ask a simple question:

Are you jealous of those with bulging bank accounts?

Which feeds on to other questions like:

Are you envious of their fancy houses, big cars, foreign holidays, designer clothes and all of their other stuff?

Does it matter what they have? Do you deserve more just because they have more? Should we all earn the same and all have the same stuff? Sounds like communism to me. That system has continually failed. I think only Cuba remains as a true communist state and I can promise you that those at the top (in a land where all are equal) have a damn sight more than the peons. The "leaders" have bigger houses, better cars, bigger bank accounts, better health care. So let's dump that myth. "Prizes for all" never works. The world is unequal. It always has been, and unless we all miraculously transcend the material, it probably always will be unequal. Live with it. The alternative is to whine and moan or worse, try to take it off those who have it.

I don't care what the bloke next door earns. He may well be a tool but he works for what he has. And even if he doesn't, what business is that of mine? None at all, is the right answer.

I think I differ from "true" anarchists in that I don't mind captialism. Let's face reality for a moment: without entrepreneurs who gamble a very great deal of their time, money and energy on new ventures, create wealth, and they create jobs, which feeds the beast known as the economy. In turn, those employees spend their money into the economy and help to sustain other companies, which in turn helps to provide jobs for their employees. So let's lay off Big Business, it isn't all bad. Yes, we can argue about the ethics, and the lack of morality regarding the way those businesses are managed, but the main thing to remember is that they are not inherently bad.

That leads me nicely on to what those "fat cats" earn. The numbers are obscene, but often relative. I read today about a CEO who earns $114 million per year. Before bonuses. I know of entire nations that run on a smaller budget. Dig a little deeper and you discover that the CEO works a 15 hour day in an effort to grow the business, therefore providing yet more jobs to yet more people, and the same guy donates many millions to deserving charities every year. The arguments start when we learn that the same chap banks offshore in an effort to give the state less in taxes. Fair enough, I say. The Lefties will scream that this guy must pay 75% tax while they pay nothing. For the sake of a fluke, "right place, right time", or genuinely hard graft, our hero must now give two thirds of his wages to an inept government, who, in turn, will hand it out to the idle and the feckless?

That is uncool, IMHO.

I happen to know that all taxation is both illegal and unlawful. I have written about it often enough here. Dig around, and you will find the articles, or view the same videos I viewed.

I happen to know that our currency-all currencies, in fact-are fiat. Which is to say they are worthless. They operate like Catholicism, Buddhism, Judaism, Jehova's Witnessism or Islamism. They operate on faith and faith alone. Our notes have no value. No intrinsic value. A twenty pound note has an actual value of around 3p. It is a belief system.  No more and no less.

This piece is not about that. Years ago I got over the jealousy, the envy, the bitterness, the resentment. Some people earn more than others. The world owes you nothing. You make and take what you can. Ideally, you don't hurt anyone else while you are doing that and if you can lay your head down and sleep the night through with a clear conscience, then I wish you well. Sincerely.

There is much chatter in the MSM, on Twitter, and around the blogs about this 50% tax for the rich. I do not think that is fair, no matter how much you earn. 50% is too much. It is a desperate grab by a bunch of idiots in government who don't have the sand to make savage, but necessary cuts. Who don't have the sense to know that they have created and overfed a bloated monster and point blank refuse to trim the fat. Because they lack the courage to do the right thing, our wealthier citizens must be punished. And to what end? What would YOU do if they suddenly said "We are going to help ourselves to half of your earnings. Because we can"? If it was me I'd be looking at foreign properties. I'd be instructing my bank to start moving all my liquid assets to a bank account far, far away. Then I'd be following the money. Literally. I'd be bugging out. And who could blame me/them?

There is nothing (fundamentally) wrong with Big Business, and there is nothing (fundamentally) wrong with high earners. One thing is clear: we need them here, to carry on creating successful businesses so we can have something to do with our time, and earn some coin.

But there is something fundamentally wrong with a government that would take half of their money by force to satisfy the Lefties, with whom, I might add, there is also a fundamental flaw. These freaks we would not miss. Let them move out. Let them go and seek this Utopia where money is hurled at them just because they hold out their hands. Where opportunities are gifted, not sought, earned and worked for.

Grow up. Man up. Realise that the world does not revolve around you. Take responsibility. If you really want more digits in your account, earn them. If what you do does not create enough digits to satisfy your money-lust, do something else that would allow you to do so.

Just don't expect my taxes to pay for your imagined/would-be/wannabe lifestyle. I owe you nothing. I already give too much, so leave me be.

While you're at it, leave the wealthy alone as well. Without them, we'd all be in a mess.

Find that Green-Eyed Monster and slay him.

You'll feel 100% better. I absolutely guarantee it.

CR.

22 comments:

Oldrightie said...

That green eyed monster flourishes in the corridors of Brussels and Westminster more than anywhere else except possibly Trade Union lunches.

Captain Ranty said...

OR,

I could not agree more.

Their greed is legendary and is a topic for another day though.

This piece was deliberately aimed at us. Joe Average.

If we can get a grip, it will be easier to teach them to get a grip. (In theory).

CR.

Anonymous said...

I don´t care what another has.
I do care though what I don´t have.
I pay too much taxes, which results in that I cannot afford a living.

Anyways Captain; I was wondering how your thingy whith the UKBA is evolving?
Go safe and in peace!

Captain Ranty said...

Anon,

I hear that.

We ALL pay far too much as it is.

I threatened to counter-claim against UKBA so they stopped writing, stopped threatening court action.

Wankers.

CR.

Sean O'Hare said...

Top notch post CR. I hope your friend's meds worked and that the dysentry has been stoppered

Captain Ranty said...

Thanks Sean.

Sadly, they only calmed the bug down.

He attacked again this morning. Spent most of the day on the loo.

Nasty.

CR.

Sue said...

I just want enough to live on comfortably. I'd buy a little finca with some land and grow as much of my own food as possible and sink a freshwater well.

Have pigs, chickens, goats and my whole family living with me. A little runaround family car, a couple of dogs, great friends and life would be PERFECT!

Sue said...

How you feeling now? Better I hope :)

Anonymous said...

Superb :)

Anonymous said...

You should get dysentery more often Captain, these posts have been rather good. ;) Seriously though, get well soon & all.

Personally I am not jealous/envious either, but then I ain't your average consumer... If we must have an income tax (unlawful though such a thing is) it should be both low and flat. Those who bang on about the rich "paying their fair share" ignore the fact that the rich already do. But try explaining that one...

Whilst the human race has long had a deep-seated desire to possess shiny things and do whatever must be done to acquire them, the fervent need of modern consumers can be said to have a darker and more recent origin.

This is the elite-created phenomenon of planned obsolescence, which was deliberately introduced when the "modern" consumer society was in its infancy after WWI. It develops massively in the 1950s when advertising and limitless credit get into their stride, and we end up where we are now. All part of the plan, of course. (IMO)

If you haven't seen it already have a watch of the Lightbulb Conspiracy to see this outlined in detail. (52 mins.) There's a bit of new-agey stuff to be wary of but otherwise the documentary is extremely, um, enlightening. (Pardon the pun...)

I think those of our persuasion have to practise a bit of cognitive dissonance with money. We know its true nature yet we have to have it in order to exist, and must therefore play the game (until we can leave the board) even though the world has being deliberately sent hurtling into the abyss because of it.

If they want money, and they are the people that "create" money, then what are they bothering us for? ;)

Our belief in the value of money gives it that value in the first place, just like our belief in government/politics, religion etc give those things their value. They all need us to survive, to exist. Unfortunately much of the world believes in these same things. For now...

Twenty pounds of what, anyway? BS?

;)

Regards

TSL

Anonymous said...

I feel neither jealousy nor spite regarding those of great wealth.
I get as mad as hell with the likes of Mandelson, Kinnock(s) and others whose wealth has been acquired by very dubious means, mainly from the public purse.

John Pickworth said...

I have no problems with the well off or indeed the super rich. In fact I worry we don't have enough of them in our country now.

Just look at the numbers of famous British companies being sold to the super rich from overseas, the foreign owned football clubs or the million Pound plus mansions/apartments purchased by rich Arabs or Russians.

Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with foreign ownership - it can be a good thing too. But the question is where are our British counterparts?

As for the 50% tax rate. Come on, if it was such a bloody good idea then why didn't that awful Gordon Brown introduce it in 1997? No. He waits until it looked like they were going to lose office and springs it on the new Government.

Its a spite tax and should be repealed immediately. Anyone thinking this is doing the country any good is deluded!

Now I don't know many super rich people but I'm pretty sure none of them are stuffing crisp bank notes under their beds. In fact, they are buying cars, paying gardeners, starting new businesses, investing, shopping for fine things or giving to good causes... even leaving their cash in the bank means the funds are available for others to loan. But no, the lefties want Vince Cable and friends to grab big handfuls of his wealth to be followed by a game of 'one for you, and one for me'. Meanwhile the car dealership is sacking a salesman, the gardener in on the dole, no new businesses taking on staff, investment portfolios perform poorly, the shops are quiet, the charities are struggling and the banks have no money to lend.

But never mind. At least the £75,000 a year school head gets another fiver on top of his pension.

Live an 'Achievable Life' said...

I think a lot of you who say they don't mind the super rich aught to look at where there contacts are.

NOT all NOT all

There are companies that work hand in hand with the government and get hand outs that are OUR hard earned taxes.

NOT all I say NOT all

Super rich ARM dealers, Super rich pharma companies, Super rich OIL barons, Super rich Mineral traders, Super rich government heads.
I could go on.
I would support the SUPER rich entrepreneur, the get up and go man / woman and the farmers the inventors and musicians - BUT how many of these do you see as SUPER rich NOT A LOT, NOT A LOT at all.

So yes I have no problem with the super rich but if ONE penny comes from TAXES I am vehemently opposed.

Just remember WHERE our INDUSTRY 'IS' it sure aint in THIS country, not like it used to be anyway.

Good post CR, I hear ya and in the right place 'spot on'

Namaste brother, phil;

John Pickworth said...

You make an important distinction 'AL' but then a super rich corporation is a strange entity... and one not generally subject to 50% tax rates.

I would argue though that oil barons, arms dealers and mineral traders of old don't really exist these days (at least not in the west). Most have long since been consumed by larger conglomerates or are state operations now.

You are bang on that there are far too many who have grown fat on the sweat and toil of the taxpayer. This is something that needs urgent addressing. I can never be right that a burger cook in a fastfood diner is paying tax to support others flying first class and eating in the best restaurants.

John Pickworth said...

Sorry, mistype above

"It can never be right that..."

Anonymous said...

its drummed into us from toddlers to make it in life you must have more stuff .al has hit the point there, big corporations are in bed with the govt,they make it difficult for smaller buisinesses,getting govt to impose legislation a smaller company can il-afford,and then hoover them up when there going to go tits up,even if a small buisiness owner makes it and his product is selling well the big companies will buy them out,the illusion of choice when just about everything is owned by a few companies
to think the govt dont know what there doing is nieve to say the least,they relish the geen monster.
nige

OBO 110X said...

I could manage on far less money if there wasn't someone constantly dipping into it. However, like you, I refused to fill in last year's tax return as I can't seem to find a valid contract where I agreed to it in the first place.

Unfortunately the lefties are of great number, so I do what I do rather quietly.

I am Stan said...

Paying tax sucks...rotten eggs!

James Higham said...

I've not been quite in your league but I've been a bit B2 and now am probably E but hey - that's life.

Live an 'Achievable Life' said...

Not going to argue with you JP you make a good point.
We do BUY a lot of arms, minerals and the like though and the companies involved are to a greater degree supported by our government, recent arms 'Show' in london confirm we are involved. But I take your point.

Namaste, phil;

Anonymous said...

Nicked this off a poster at Jo Nova's blog - seems fitting for this post

Father and daughter exchange of words and wisdom.



A young woman was about to finish her first year of university. Like so many
others her age, she considered herself to be Labour Party minded, and she
was very much in favour of higher taxes to support her education and for
more government programs – in other words, the redistribution of wealth.



She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch blue-ribbon
Conservative, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she
had attended and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her
father had for years harboured a selfish desire to keep what he thought
should be his.



One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on
the rich and the need for more government programs.



The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors must be the
truth, and she indicated so to her father.. He responded by asking how she
was doing at university.



Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had a 90% average, and
let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a
very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no
time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn’t even have
time for a boyfriend, and didn’t really have many university friends because
she spent all her time studying.



Her father listened and then asked, “How is your friend Audrey doing?” She
replied, “Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she
never studies and she barely has a 50% average. She is so popular on campus;
university for her is a blast. She’s always invited to all the parties, and
lots of times she doesn’t even show up for classes because she’s too hung
over.”



Her wise father asked his daughter, “Why don’t you go to the Dean’s office
and ask him to deduct 20% off your average and give it to your friend who
only has 50%. That way you will both have a 70% average, it would be fair
and you would both be equal.”



The daughter, visibly shocked by her father’s suggestion, angrily fired
back, “That’s a crazy idea; how would that be fair! I’ve worked really hard
for my grades! I’ve invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey
has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my
tail off!”



The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, “Welcome to the
Conservative side of the fence.”



If anyone has a better explanation of the difference between Conservative
and Labour/Greens, I’m all ears.
If you ever wondered what side of the fence you sit on, this is a great
test!



If a Conservative supporter doesn’t like guns, he doesn’t buy one.
If a Labour/Green doesn’t like guns, they want all guns outlawed.



If a Conservative is a vegetarian, he doesn’t eat meat.
If a Labour/Green is a vegetarian, he wants all meat products banned for
everyone.



If a Conservative is gay, he quietly leads his life.
If a Labour/Green is gay, he demands legislated respect.



If a Conservative is down-and-out, he thinks about how to better his
situation.
A Labour/Green wonders who is going to take care of him.



If a Conservative doesn’t like a talk show host, he switches channels.
Labour/Greens demand that those they don’t like should be banned.



If a Conservative is a non-believer, he doesn’t go to church.
A Labour/Green non-believer wants any mention of God and religion silenced.
(Unless it’s a foreign religion, of course!)



If a Conservative reads this, he’ll forward it so his friends can have a
good laugh.
A Labour/Green will delete it because he’s “offended.”





Ah-bloody-men!

nisakiman said...

Good post CR, and one which I heartily endorse.

Like JH above, I've been in (relative) clover in the past on a few occasions, but have either blown it or walked away from it. No regrets, and good luck to those that have made it and kept it.

Nowadays I tend to live on a bit of a financial knife-edge, but to quote from a song (by Mose Allison, I think): "I live the life I love and I love the life I live..."

Finances notwithstanding, I consider myself one of the lucky ones in life.

"Nicked this off a poster at Jo Nova's blog - seems fitting for this post" Yes, indeed a good one. As I'm fond of quoting (not sure of the source) "I used to be a socialist, but then I got mugged by reality..."